Run brew install vim && brew install macvim; Step 4. Run brew link macvim; You now have the latest versions of vim and macvim managed by brew. Run brew update && brew upgrade every once in a while to upgrade them. This includes the installation of the CLI mvim and the mac application (which both point to the same thing). Setting up your computer for Vim and Tmux often comes with a few issues. Here's how to manage plugins for Vim and use Tmux to boost your productivity, as well as settle a few common issues. We'll install: Vundle - Plugin management for Vim; Solarized color scheme; Tmux - Terminal multiplexer. A pro tip for using Vim with VSCode is to remap caps lock to escape. This makes vim key repeat work a lot smoother. System Preferences - Keyboard; Modifer Keys - Caps Lock - ESC; Windows. Look into the uncap project. Vim is a highly configurable text editor, freely available for many different platforms. For general information, advocacy, and the latest news on Vim in general, visit the Vim Home Page. The site is specifically devoted to Vim on the Mac, and is mainly devoted to binary distributions for Mac OS X.Vim is available for many different systems and there are several versions.This page will help you decide what to download.Most popular:
|MS-Windows:||Click this link to download the self-installing executable(using ftp).|
Signed MS-Windows files are available on thevim-win32-installer site(gvim_8.2.0012_x86_signed.exe is recommended)
|Unix:||See the GitHub page, or Mercurial, if you prefer that.There is also anAppimagewhich is build daily and runs on many Linux systems.|
|Mac:||See the MacVim project for a GUI version and Homebrew for a terminal version|
Details and options for:
|Mirrors||Alternative sites to download Vim files from.|
|Sources||Build Vim yourself and/or make changes.|
|GitHub||Obtain Vim sources with a git client (recommended).|
|Mercurial||Obtain Vim sources with a Mercurial client(recommended if you don't like git).|
|Patches||Include the latest improvements (requires sources and rebuilding).|
|Runtime||Get the latest syntax files, documentation, etc.|
|Script links||Links to individual syntax, indent, color, compiler and ftplugin scripts.|
|Translations||Non-English documentation packages.|
Versions before 7.3 can also be obtained withSubversionandCVS.Vim 8.2 is the latest stable version. It is highly recommended, many bugs have been fixed since previous versions.If you have a problem with it (e.g.,when it's too big for your system), you could try version 6.4 or 5.8 instead.
To avoid having to update this page for every new version, there arelinks to the directories. From there select the files you want to download.In the file names ## stands for the version number. For example,vim##src.zipwith version 8.2 is vim82src.zip andvim-##-src.tar.gz for version 8.2is vim-8.2-src.tar.gz.Links are provided for quick access to the latest version.
Note that the links point to the latest version (currently 8.2) to avoidthat caching causes you to get an older version.
You need to download at the sources and the runtime files.And apply all the latest patches.For Vim 6 up to 7.2 you can optionally get the 'lang' archive, which adds translated messages and menus. For 7.3 and later this is included with the runtime files.
Vim Macos InsertThis is the simplest and most efficient way to obtain the latest version, including all patches. This requires the 'git' command.
The explanations are on the GitHub page.
The explanations are on this page:Mercurial
|The runtime and source files together:||vim-##.tar.bz2||vim-8.2.tar.bz2 (ftp)|
The single big file ending in '.tar.bz2' is a tar archive compressed withbzip2. Uncompress and unpack it withbunzip2 -c filename tar -xf -.
All archives should be unpacked in the same directory.
If you can't compile yourself or don't want to, look at the site of thesupplier of your Unix version for a packaged Vim executable. For Linuxdistributions and FreeBSD these are often available shortly after a new Vimversion has been released. But you can't change the features then.
- Debian packages are available at:http://packages.debian.org/vim.
- Sun Solaris Vim is included in the Companion Software:http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/.
Vim for other Sun systems can be found athttp://sunfreeware.com/.
- HPUX with GTK GUI for various HPUX versions:http://hpux.its.tudelft.nl/hppd/hpux/Editors/vim-6.2/ orhttp://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Editors/vim-6.2/ (note that the remark about the GNU GPL is wrong)
It includes GUI and console versions, for 32 bit and 64 bit systems.You can select what you want to install and includes an uninstaller.
If you want a signed version you can get a build from
It supports many interfaces, such as Perl, Tcl, Lua, Python and Ruby.There are also 64bit versions which only run on 64 bit MS-Windows and use alot more memory, but is compatible with 64 bit plugins.
You can also get a nightly build from there with the most recent improvements,with a small risk that something is broken.
Since there are so many different versions of MS operating systems, there areseveral versions of Vim for them.
For Vim 5.x, Vim 6.x and Vim 7 look inthe pc directory (ftp).
- Self-installing executable gvim##.exe gvim82.exe (ftp)
- For Vim 6 and later. This includes a GUI versionof Vim - with many features and OLE support - and all the runtime files.It works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.Use this if you have enough disk space and memory. It's the simplest way tostart using Vim on the PC. The installer allows you to skip the parts youdon't want.
For Vim 6.3 and later it also includes a console version, both for MS-Windows 95/98/ME and MS-Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7. The installer automatically selects the right one.
- Runtime files vim##rt.zip vim82rt.zip (ftp)
- For all the following binary versions you need this runtime archive, whichincludes the documentation, syntax files, etc. Always get this, unless youuse the self-installing executable.
There are three versions that run as an MS-Windows application. These providemenus, scrollbars and a toolbar.
- GUI executable gvim##.zip gvim82.zip (ftp)
- This is the 'normal' GUI version.
- OLE GUI executable gvim##ole.zip gvim82ole.zip (ftp)
- A GUI version with OLE support. This offers a few extra features,such as integration with Visual Developer Studio. But it uses quite a bitmore memory.
Best Vim For MacosThere are three versions that run on MS-DOS or in a console window inMS-Windows:
- Win32 console executable vim##w32.zip vim82w32.zip (ftp)
- The Win32 console version works well on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7. It supports long file names and is compiled with 'big' features. It does not runperfectly well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME, especially when resizing the consolewindow (this may crash MS-Windows..).
- 32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim73_46d32.zip (ftp)
- The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It requires a DPMImanager, which needs to be installed on MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one.It supports long file names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7. It is compiled with 'big' features.
Not available for 7.4 and later.
- 16 bit DOS executable vim##d16.zip vim71d16.zip (ftp)
- The 16 bit DOS version is the only one that runs on old MS-DOS systems. Onlyuse this if you are really desparate, because it excludes many useful features(such as syntax highlighting and long file names) and quickly runs out ofmemory.
The last version available is 7.1. Version 7.2 and later are too big to fit in the DOS memory model.
- iconv librarylibiconv
- A library used for converting character sets.Put 'iconv.dll' in the same directory as gvim.exe to be able to edit files inmany encodings. You can find the dll file in the bin directory of the'libiconv-win32' archive.
- newer intl librarylibintl
- The included libintl.dll does not support encoding conversion.If you have installed the iconv library, as mentioned above, you can install agettext library that uses it.Get 'intl.dll' from the bin directory in the gettext-win32 archive and store itas 'libintl.dll' in the same directory as gvim.exe, overwriting the filethat may already be there.
- PC sources vim##src.zip vim82src.zip (ftp)
- The source files, packed for the PC. This only includes the files needed onthe PC, not for other systems. The files are in dos format CR-LF.
- PC debug files gvim##.pdb gvim82.pdb (ftp) gvim##ole.pdb gvim82ole.pdb (ftp) vim##w32.pdb vim80w32.pdb (ftp)
- When you notice a bug or a crash in Vim these files can be used to help tracing down the problem. In Vim 7 do ':help debug-win32' to see how.
- PC translations vim##lang.zip vim72lang.zip (ftp)
- Only for 7.2 and earlier, for 7.3 and later these are included in the 'rt' archive.Translated messages and menu files, packed for the PC. Use this to seenon-English menus. The messages are only translated when the libintl.dlllibrary is installed.
- Windows 3.1 GUI executable gvim##w16.zip and gvim##m16.zip
- These are GUI versions for 16 bit windows (Windows 3.1). The 'w16' has manyfeatures, 'm16' has few features (for when you're short on memory).
- Yongwei's build
- You may also try Yongwei's build,executables with slightly different interfaces supported.
- For an unofficial version that used to include all the latest patches andoptionally a bitmore: Cream.The 'one-click installer' mentioned includes the Cream changes.For the 'real Vim' use the 'without Cream' version listed further down.
Unfortunately, it stopped updating since Vim 8.0.
- For a Cygwin binary look at others.
For Vim 5.x and Vim 6 look inthe amiga directory (ftp).
Vim 7 files can be found atos4depot.net. This is for AmigaOS 4. Made by Peter Bengtsson.
Laiken kab tak un se chhupoon ga. Barai mehrbani koi aisa wazeefah btain k jis se yeh sab preshanian aur mushkilaat khatam ho jein aur yeh qarz jald se jald utar jai.Agar mera qarz utar gia to saari zindagi aap ko duwain doon ga.barai mehrbani jald se jald jawab dijiye. Assalam o alaikumme ny ap ka blog p kalay ilm k bary me parha h kafi malomat hasil hui han or ap k is blog s bohat s loag faida utha ray han Allah Subhana Wa Tala ap ko is ka bohat ajar day or ap k darajat buland kray amin. Iss waqt main 'Oman' main rehta hoon laiken ab yahan se bhaag k Pakistan janey wala hoon warna yahan jail main sarna parey ga kion k qarz daron ne muaf nei karna aur police main case kar dena hai.aap k jawab ka intezar hai. Shadded pareshani ka shukaar hoon.
- Runtime files vim##rt.tgz vim64rt.tgz (ftp)
- Documentation, syntax files, etc. You always need this.
- Executable vim##bin.tgz vim64bin.tgz (ftp)
- The executables for Vim and Xxd.For Vim 6 it includes 'big' features, for Vim 5.x itincludes the normal features.For Vim 6.2 it is not available (my Amiga had harddisk problems then, this miraculously healed later).
- Big executable vim##big.tgz
- Vim with 'big' features and Xxd. Only for Vim 5.x.
- Sources vim##src.tgz vim64src.tgz (ftp)
- The source files for the Amiga.Only needed when you want to compile Vim yourself.
For Vim 5.x and Vim 6 look inthe os2 directory (ftp).Version 6.2 is not available.Versions 6.3 and 6.4 were compiled by David Sanders.
Version 7.0 was compiled by David Sanders.
- Runtime files vim##rt.zip vim70rt.zip (ftp)
- Documentation, syntax files, etc. You always need this.
- Executables vim##os2.zip vim70os2.zip (ftp)
- Vim, Xxd, Tee and EMX libraries.
If you want to compile the OS/2 version, you need the EMX compiler. Use theUnix source archive, runtime files and the extra archive. After unpacking theruntime archive, move all the files and directories in the 'runtime'directory one level up.The terminal version of Vim is included as 'vi', you already have it. It'slagging behind a bit though and has limited features, thus you may want toadditionally install a recent version or one with more features.
MacVimThere most popular version is MacVim. This is being actively developed. Thisbehaves like a Mac application, using a GUI.
MacVim has more a Mac look and feel, is developed actively and most peopleprefer this version. Most of MacVim was made by Björn Winckler.
MacVim can be downloaded here: https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim
New versions are made quite often.Subscribe to thevim-mac maillistto be informed about bugs and updates.
Vim Text Editor MacThis is a terminal version installed with the 'brew' command.It is updated frequently.It can be downloaded here: formulae.brew.sh/formula/vim.
Older binaries for Mac OS/X can be found on thisSourceForge project.Maintained by Nicholas Stallard.
Here is a multi-byte version of Vim 5.7 (for Japanese, possibly also forKorean and Chinese; not for Unicode):
Most of the work forthe Macintosh port (Classic and Carbon) was done by Dany St-Amant.
If you have OSX and a setup for compiling programs, you can use the source codeand compile yourself. See the Unix section above. The development tools can bedownloaded from Apple's developer web site.
Turn to the vim-mac maillist to meet otherVim-Mac users.This is a list of links to sites where various versions of Vim can be obtained.These are supported by individuals, use at your own risk.
|Android||Search for 'Vim Touch' by Momodalo in the Play Store.|
|i/OS||Run Vim on your iPhone or Ipad.|
|QNX (ftp)||Provided by Yakov Zaytsev. Requires QNX 6.3.0/6.3.2 with service pack 2.|
|Cygwin (with GTK GUI)||http://lassauge.free.fr/cygwin/|
Gvim For Mac Os X