This short guide will explain step by step how to open RAR Files in Windows so that you can access the contents of the file.
Here is the finest.rar file fixing utility among you that is known as Remo Repair RAR which repairs damaged or corrupt RAR archive as well as enables to extract the data from the file. This proficient program uses the most advanced scanning algorithm which scans and repairs each and every corner of the damaged RAR file and finally extracts all. Drop a RAR file onto the VLC window or open one from the menu, make sure to open the first RAR in the set (the xxxxx.RAR file) as VLC won’t work correctly if you try to open one of the parts. If there are multiple videos in the archive, it will load the first video and you can cycle through the others with the Next and Previous buttons. Reasons for RAR File That Is Not Opening Are: Viruses like Trojan horse attack on the RAR file Changing file extension of the RAR file from one to another Downloading RAR file and trying to extract contents of the downloaded RAR files using third party utility. Media player for os x.
NOTE: the steps in this tutorial are identical if you’re trying to open a .DMG or .tar.gz file in Windows as well – so this guide could just as easily be called “How to Open .RAR, .DMG and .tar.gz Files in Windows” :) Those formats are typically found on Mac and Linux/Unix systems – so being able to open them on a Windows device can be very handy.
- Going into almost no detail at all, a .rar file is a lot like a .zip file. It’s one or more files/folders all combined into one file – a RAR. Here’s how you open .RAR Files in Windows 10 so you can get to the contents inside.
- Unlike ZIP files, RAR files require software that doesn’t come included with Windows itself. Fortunately there’s a fantastic, small and free app that does let you open .RAR files. Head over to the 7-Zip download page (link opens in a new window/tab) and download the 7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64 (Intel 64 or AMD64) version of 7-Zip, unless you’re absolutely certain you don’t have a 64-bit version of Windows 10 (to find out which you have, follow this short guide).
- Double-click the 7-Zip installer file to install the app. Make sure to install it to the default location – which is in C:Program Files. If you need to install it to another location you can, just make sure to remember exactly where, you’ll need to know in an upcoming step.
- After you’ve installed 7-Zip, double-click (or tap if you have a Windows 10 tablet) the .RAR file you want to open.
- Select More apps from the menu that appears.
- Now select Look for another app on this PC
- When the “Open With” dialog box appears, double-click your C: drive and then the Program Files folder (as illustrated in the screenshot below).
- Open the Z-Zip folder.
- Select the file 7zFM.exe and then click Open
- 7-Zip will launch and open the .RAR file. Now it’s time to extract (copy) the files and folders out from inside the RAR. Select all of the files/folders and then click the Extract button.
- By default, the files and folders will be extracted to the same location the RAR file is in – click OK to begin that process.
- Depending on the size and the number of files stored in the .RAR file, it may take anywhere from under a second to a few minutes to copy all of that data. Once the process has completed, all of data that was inside the RAR file is now accessible! Note: the next time you have to open a RAR file you won’t have to repeat this process – the RAR will simply open with 7-Zip.
- That’s it – you’re done!