Body Beast, an in home workout program that mixes old school bodybuilding with modern scientific study, is now available for those who want to pack on 10 lbs of muscle in 90 days. This is the first program exclusively by Beachbody that is designed to get you bulky and gain massive muscle vs that lean mean P90X traditional Beachbody look. Body Beast is a 90-day video workout plan for men and women seeking chiseled physiques and different degrees of weight loss. The program was designed by the champion bodybuilder Sagi Kalev and is distributed by Beachbody on DVDs and streaming online via Beachbody On Demand. Although Beachbody are phasing out DVDs, you can still purchase this. Body Beast is designed for both men and women, although it’s certainly more muscle-focused than other workout tapes. Ultimately, Body Beast is made by Beachbody, which sells P90X, Insanity, and most other popular workout tapes you’ve heard about.
Body Beast is a 90-day video workout plan for men and women seeking chiseled physiques and different degrees of weight loss. The program was designed by the champion bodybuilder Sagi Kalev and is distributed by Beachbody on DVDs and streaming online via Beachbody On Demand. Although Beachbody are phasing out DVDs, you can still purchase this particular program on DVD, so you can decide which option is best for you. Keep in mind that the online streaming option gives you access to some additional Beast workouts and online program materials.
Body Beast Workout Bench
Most of the exercise videos involve dumbbells or resistance bands and other simple equipment. Overall, Body Beast is best for newcomers to strength training who want to build lean muscle mass, add bulk and/or lose fat.
Read on for FitRated’s full Body Beast review.
|Program||Body Beast by Beachbody|
|Program Duration||90 Days|
|Workout Style||High Intensity|
|Benefits||Weight Loss, Strength Training|
Body Beast is a Beachbody home fitness plan focused on strength training for men and women. Beachbody advertises that you can go from “Average Joe to JACKED” and from “Ho-hum to HOTTIE” over the 90-day course with the help of award-winning bodybuilder Sagi Kalev who leads the course. If you opt for the DVD option, the Base Kit is centered around 12 video workouts that are shipped on four DVDs. Meal guides are included with both options to help keep you fueled and able to recover quickly from exercise.
As with any program, results vary, but overall you can expect significant weight loss, total body strengthening, and all-over tightening when you complete one Body Beast workout per day, six days per week.
The most dramatic Body Beast results are seen in people who are relatively new to serious strength training. As you quickly gain muscle you’ll burn more fat than before (even as you sleep!) because your resting metabolic rate will rise. But if you’ve already been at it for almost a year, Body Beast might not help you break past a plateau.
The Body Beast DVD Base Kit currently costs about $50 including shipping and handling ($49.85 to be exact).
- Dramatic results: Training six days a week with Body Beast videos, science says that beginners can get dramatic results in terms of weight loss and strength gain. Keep in mind though that Body Beast before-and-after pictures might show the effects of two or three rounds of the program (not just 90 days).
- An introduction to weightlifting: The name “Body Beast” is meant to be intimidating, but really the program is an introduction to strength training with free weights; you aren’t expected to be an advanced “beast” when you begin.
- Supports a lean or bulked-up goal: Many exercisers, women in particular, are concerned that with weightlifting they’ll become bulkier than intended. The Body Beast program explains how you can use different exercise videos with a specific nutrition plan to get your desired effect.
- Watch online or on DVD: You can buy the Body Beast Base Kit on a 12-DVD set or sign up to Beachbody’s digital fitness service, Beachbody On Demand, which will give you unlimited access to Body Beast videos and hundreds of others. New customers get 14 days to try Beachbody On Demand for free.
- The beastly grunt: In the best personal training scenarios, you like the personal trainer’s workouts AND their style. A small percentage of Body Beast customer reviews mention disliking Sagi Kalev’s “beastly” grunts during lifts. Others aren’t bothered or even think the exaggerated grunts are amusing.
- Few women are included: Unlike most other Beachbody fitness series, Body Beast mostly has men in its videos. This could be discouraging to women who’d like to see female role models or demonstrators for most of the exercises.
- Not for advanced users: If you’ve been strength training for a while, you might think Body Beast isn’t an adequate challenge. The exercises are standard so you probably won’t learn a lot either.
- DVD troubles: If opt for the DVD option, keep in mind that the main complaint in customer reviews of Body Beast is that sometimes the DVDs fail to play. It’s a good idea to try playing them all right away to make sure they work.
Body Beast Full Review
Body Beast is a three-month home exercise series focused on strengthening the body. It can support either lean muscle mass or bulking up, and in both cases a side benefit is fat loss. The twelve main Body Beast workouts primarily use weight lifting or resistance exercises, and they’re led by personal trainer Sagi Kalev for Beachbody. Each month of the program is a distinct Training Block with its own workout focus and diet recommendations.
Body Beast Workout Sheets
How it Works
Depending on whether you choose the DVD or streaming option, you can watch the 12 Body Beast workout videos either on DVD at home, or stream them on TV, computer or mobile either at home or on the go at the gym. You will exercise six days/week for 12 weeks.
Body Beast Workout
A booklet that arrives with the DVDs or in the program materials section online explains how to set a video workout schedule to support your fitness goals. Another guide explains how eating foods (and supplements) with specific nutrient proportions can help fuel your workouts and speed up your recovery time. For personalized advice you can contact other program users and Beachbody fitness experts at an exclusive online forum.
Most of the videos require the use of resistance bands or dumbbells and other simple home gym equipment as listed below.
Body Beast Workouts
The Body Beast home workout program arrives with a calendar and instructions for personalizing your workout schedule. An example of personalization is including more cardio video use for extra weight loss. Each month you’ll mostly use a particular type of workout: Build, Beast or Bulk.
The 12 main Body Beast workout videos are:
- Build: Chest/Tris
- Build: Shoulders
- Build: Legs
- Build: Back/Bis
- Bulk: Chest
- Bulk: Back
- Bulk: Legs
- Bulk: Shoulders
- Bulk: Arms
- Beast: Abs
- Beast: Cardio
- Beast: Total Body
What equipment is needed for Body Beast workouts?
- Dumbbells (or resistance bands of different strengths)
- Incline workout bench (or stability ball)
- Chin-up bar (or resistance bands with door attachment)
- Advanced chin-up bar (optional)
- Curl bar (optional)
- Shock-absorbent mat for jumping (optional)
Body Beast Pricing
The Body Beast Base Kit DVD set sells for $49.95 on Amazon (including shipping).
Body Beast is best for men and women who are relative newcomers to weight training. Beginners can get great results just from the strength training videos, and users report that adding Beachbody’s dietary supplements (or other vitamins) with this program makes a visible difference. You can expect to shed pounds while becoming much firmer and stronger.
Tip: Before you buy this DVD workout series or any other, watch a preview video to virtually meet the personal trainer.